Richmond Assault & Battery Attorney
Defending You Against Serious Charges in Virginia
If you have been arrested and accused of assault or battery, do not delay in seeking legal help. Del Rio Law, PLLC provides zealous advocacy to accused people throughout Virginia. We understand that the criminal justice process can be overwhelming, which is why we are prepared to guide you through your case and help you achieve the best outcome possible. Rest assured that we know what it takes to protect your rights and safeguard your future!
Why Choose Del Rio Law, PLLC?
- Former Virginia magistrate
- Named “Top Lawyer 2016″” in The Global Directory of Who’s Who
- Services available in English and Spanish
- FREE 30-minute case evaluations
Assault & Battery: Charges & Punishments
- There are three types of assault and battery charges in Virginia:
- Intimidation: Causing someone to fear bodily harm through the use of threatening actions or words. Intimidation cases do not involve stalking, an attack, or a display of weapons.
- Simple Assault (VA code § 18.2-57): Simple assault involved an attack of another person, but without weapons or bodily injury.
- Aggravated Assault (VA code § 18.2-51.2): Aggravated assault involves an attack on another person where a weapon is displayed or used in a threatening manner. This type of assault results in bodily injury.
In Virginia, a simple assault is a Class 1 misdemeanor that is punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of $2,500. Aggravated assault that results in severe injury to the victim (“malicious wounding”) is considered a Class 2 felony that could result in a lifetime prison sentence. Attacks against police or probation officers are also felony offenses which can result in prison sentences ranging from six months to 10 years.
Domestic Assault & Battery
A common form of simple assault is domestic abuse, which is assault and battery against a spouse, child, or another member of the household. Domestic violence accusations are serious, and accused individuals should immediately involve an attorney. For a first offense, a convicted individual could face one year in jail. If the defendant has two or more previous convictions, the punishment is increased to one to five years in jail or prison in addition to a $2,500 fine.
Fighting to Protect Your Future
A criminal conviction not only comes with immediate consequences, like fines and incarceration, but can continue to haunt a person even after they have paid for their mistake. A criminal record containing a violent crime could cause damage to a hard-earned reputation and make it difficult to obtain credit, get a job, find a place to live, or qualify for loans to receive a college education. With so much at stake, it is urgent that you work with a skilled Richmond criminal defense lawyer at Del Rio Law, PLLC.
Being accused of a crime can be a frightening experience, but with the right lawyer on your side, you can feel more confident knowing that your rights will be protected. We invite you to fill out an online consultation form and we will be in touch with you promptly.
- Call (804) 299-8612 today to schedule your free and confidential case review.
Focused on Trial Winning Strategies
As a former Virginia Magistrate, Attorney Del Rio understands that prosecutors are highly trained professionals who know how to get convictions. Do not leave your future up to chance by accepting a plea deal or bargain. Work with a skilled and experienced Richmond criminal defense lawyer who is devoted to helping you get the results you need to move forward with your life.
- Offering predictable, affordable flat-rate fees and FREE 30-minute consultations
- Recognized by numerous legal organizations for ethics, professionalism, and service
- Member of several associations to stay ahead of all legal trends, strategies,and bylaws
- Extensive experience in Virginia’s Judicial System as a former Virginia Magistrate
- All clients are treated passionately and sincerely – never like case numbers or files
- Providing bilingual legal representation for English and local Spanish speakers