Richmond Domestic Violence Lawyer
Have You Been Arrested or Accused? Call (804) 299-8612.
In Virginia, domestic violence is defined as verbal abuse, emotional abuse,and physical abuse against a family member. A Richmond domestic violence lawyer should be involved in these types of cases as soon as possible after an accusation is made. If you or someone you know has been arrested and accused of domestic violence, call Del Rio Law, PLLC to schedule a free and confidential 30-minute case evaluation. We are prepared to discuss your case, answer your questions, and inform you of your options moving forward.
- Contact us today to learn how our skilled Richmond criminal defense lawyer can assist you.
Domestic Violence Laws in Virginia
Domestic violence is a form of assault and battery covered under VA code §16.1-228, which states that abuse against a family member involving force, threat, or actual violence and which results in injury or even fear of injury is a punishable offense.
- The following are considered family members under the law for the purpose of defining domestic violence:
- A spouse or former spouse
- Parents or step-parents
- Brothers, sisters, and step-siblings
- Any other person cohabiting with the aggressor in the last 12 months
Anyone found guilty of committing misdemeanor domestic violence may face up to one year in jail. Individuals with two or more prior convictions could be charged with a Class 6 felony and face up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $2,500.
Call Now to Request a Free Phone Consultation
A domestic violence charge not only has significant legal consequences, but can seriously impact your personal life as well. A criminal conviction on your record could make it difficult to qualify for loans and jobs, and could end up depriving you or your right to own or possess a firearm.
Del Rio Law, PLLC is prepared to explain the charges that have been levied against you, as well as how best to proceed with your case. When you work with our firm, you aren’t just hiring a Richmond Domestic Violence Lawyer, you’re retaining a zealous advocate to guide you through this difficult process.
- Call our office today at (804) 299-8612 to speak with an attorney during a free 30-minute phone consultation.
Focused on Trial Winning Strategies
As a former Virginia Magistrate, Attorney Del Rio understands that prosecutors are highly trained professionals who know how to get convictions. Do not leave your future up to chance by accepting a plea deal or bargain. Work with a skilled and experienced Richmond criminal defense lawyer who is devoted to helping you get the results you need to move forward with your life.
- Offering predictable, affordable flat-rate fees and FREE 30-minute consultations
- Recognized by numerous legal organizations for ethics, professionalism, and service
- Member of several associations to stay ahead of all legal trends, strategies,and bylaws
- Extensive experience in Virginia’s Judicial System as a former Virginia Magistrate
- All clients are treated passionately and sincerely – never like case numbers or files
- Providing bilingual legal representation for English and local Spanish speakers